This Fling allows users to easily migrate virtual machines in bulk from a graphical user interface between vCenter Servers (same & different SSO Domains supported) using the Cross-vCenter vMotion feature.
- Completely UI-driven workflow for VM migration
- Provides REST API for managing migration operations
- Works with vCenter not a part of the same SSO domain
- Support for batch migration of multiple VMs in parallel
- Supports both live as well as cold migration of VMs
- Performs storage vMotion, not requiring shared storage
- Flexible network mappings between source and destination sites
- vCenter Servers 6.0 or above
- Java Runtime Environment 1.8 or higher
- Run the utility jar file from a shell window
$ java -jar xvm-1.0.jar
Default app port is 8080 which can be changed (e.g., 31000) by providing an additional flag:
$ java –Dserver.port=31000 xvm-1.0.jar
- Connection to the app from the browser. Use IP address/hostname of the machine (127.0.0.1 for localhost) where the utility is running as host
- Register vCenter servers for migration operations on the ‘Register’ tab. Provide required parameters:
Sitename: a name to identify the vCenter server vCenter Hostname/IP address, username, password Insecure connection: select to skip SSL verification during VC connection
- Initiate VM migration operations from the ‘Migrate’ tab. Progress of migration tasks can be monitored on the home page. Provide required parameters (select values from menu):
Source and target sites: select sites from already registered sites Source VMs: select datacenter and VMs from the source site for migration Target cluster and datastore: select cluster and datastore from target site where VMs should be placed after migration Network mappings: select networks to map from source to target sites
- Application logs are stored in xvm.log file
- REST APIs for automating migration tasks can be accessed/executed from the API link in the top navigation bar which links to Swagger UI.
- The app stores its state in memory, implying a restart of the app loses data about registered sites and migration tasks
- Please refer to this KB article for supported configurations for Cross vCenter vMotion https://kb.vmware.com/kb/2106952
You can get it here.